This year marks the 103rd running of the Indianapolis 500 and the 2019 Corvette Grand Sport has been tapped to keep a field of 33 snarling Indy Cars at bay.
This year will mark the 16th time that a Corvette has served as an Indy 500 pace car. Though, my personal favorite will always be the 1998 Corvette Convertible pace car with its delightfully obnoxious purple and yellow paint scheme.
The 2019 Corvette Grand Sport will serve as the Official Pace Car for the 2019 Indianapolis 500 presented by Gainbridge, leading 33 drivers to the green flag on May 26 for the 103rd running of the legendary race.
The 2019 Corvette Grand Sport pace car will have a relatively subtle color scheme. In fact, the Grand Sport is sprayed with a special “Long Beach Red Metallic” tintcoat.
In addition to the paint, the car will feature a special Indy 500 pace car graphics package and “Racing Blade Sliver” racing stripes. Admittedly the paint, stripes, and logos seem to go well with the Grand Sport’s aero package.
Underneath, it is still a Grand Sport Corvette with impressive specs as seen below.
- LT1 6.2-liter V-8 DI aluminum engine with 460 horsepower and 465 lb-ft of torque.
- 8-speed paddle-shift automatic transmission.
- Dry-sump oil system.
- Performance suspension with Magnetic Ride Control.
- Brembo® carbon ceramic brakes.
- Grand Sport aluminum wheels: 19-inch front and 20-inch rear.
- Carbon Flash painted Carbon Fiber Ground Effects Package.
- Competition Sport Bucket Seats.
- Performance Data Recorder.
33 total 2019 Corvette Grand Sport pace cars have been produced. Although none are for sale, yet.
To see the 2019 Corvette Grand Sport pace cars in action tune into the 103rd Indianapolis 500 on May 26th.